Hi Jim,

Non-metadata is the level zero blocks (leaf blocks) of those zfs objects
that store user payload. (plain files, volumes and the like)

Everything else is metadata.

The place to look is dmu.c.

Any object type enumerated in dmu_ot that is flagged "TRUE" is metadata
in its entirety, including its payload ( ie its level zero blocks).

Example:
const dmu_object_type_info_t dmu_ot [ DMU_OT_NUMTYPES ] = { {
byteswap_uint8_array , TRUE , "unallocated" }, { zap_byteswap , TRUE , "object
directory" }, { zfs_oldacl_byteswap , TRUE , "ZFS V0 ACL" },

{ byteswap_uint8_array , FALSE , "ZFS plain file" }, { zap_byteswap , TRUE ,
"ZFS directory" }, { zap_byteswap , TRUE , "ZFS master node" },
{ zap_byteswap , TRUE , "ZFS delete queue" },
{ byteswap_uint8_array , FALSE , "zvol object" },
Cheers,

Steve Gonczi