On Tue, July 26, 2011 09:55, Cindy Swearingen wrote:

> Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Adding mirrors to an existing zfs-pool
> Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:54:38 -0600
> From: Cindy Swearingen <cindy.swearin...@oracle.com>
> To: Bernd W. Hennig <consult...@hennig-consulting.com>
>
> Hi Bernd,
>
> If you are talking about attaching 4 new disks to a non redundant pool
> with 4 disks, and then you want to detach the previous disks then yes,
> this is possible and a good way to migrate to new disks.
>
> The new disks must be the equivalent size or larger than the original
> disks.
>
> See the hypothetical example below.
>
> If you mean something else, then please provide your zpool status
> output.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cindy
>

> # zpool status tank
>   pool: tank
>   state: ONLINE
>   scan: resilvered 1018K in 0h0m with 0 errors on Fri Jul 22 15:54:52 2011
> config:
>
>          NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>          tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
>              c4t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>              c4t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>              c4t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>              c4t4d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>

> # zpool attach tank c4t1d0 c6t1d0
> # zpool attach tank c4t2d0 c6t2d0
> # zpool attach tank c4t3d0 c6t3d0
> # zpool attach tank c4t4d0 c6t4d0
>
> The above syntax will create 4 mirrored pairs of disks.

I was somewhat surprised when I first learned of this.  In my head, I now
remember it as "a single disk in ZFS seems to be treated as a one-disk
mirror".  Previously, in my head, single disks were very different objects
from mirrors!

I'm still impressed by the ability to attach and detach arbitrary numbers
of disks to mirrors.  It makes upgrading mirrored disks very very safe,
since I can perform the entire procedure without ever reducing redundancy
below my starting point (using the classic attach new, resilver, detach
old sequence, repeated for however many disks were in the original
mirror).

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info