On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Nomen Nescio <nob...@dizum.com> wrote:
> I installed a Solaris 10 development box on a 500G root mirror and later I
> received some smaller drives. I learned from this list its better to have
> the root mirror on the smaller small drives and then create another mirror
> on the original 500G drives so I copied everything that was on the small
> drives onto the 500G mirror to free up the smaller drives for a new install.
>
> After my install completes on the smaller mirror, how do I access the 500G
> mirror where I saved my data? If I simply create a tank mirror using those
> drives will it recognize there's data there and make it accessible? Or will
> it destroy my data? Thanks.

CREATING a pool on the drive will definitely destroy the data.

IMHO the easiest way is to:
- boot using live CD
- import the 500G pool, renaming it to something else other than rpool
(e.g. zpool import rpool datapool)
- export the pool
- install on the new disk

Also, there's actually a way to copy everthing that was installed on
the old pool to the new pool WITHOUT having to reinstall from scratch
(e.g. so that your customizations stays the same), but depending on
your level of expertise it might be harder. See
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Troubleshooting_Guide#ZFS_Root_Pool_Recovery

--
Fajar