On 8/2/2011 7:07 AM, Gordon Ross wrote:

It seems consistent to me that a "discard" mode would simply never
present suid/sgid/sticky.  (It discards mode settings.) After all,
the suid/sgid/sticky bits don't have any counterpart in Windows
security descriptors, and Windows ACL use interited $CREATOR_OWNER
ACEs to do the equivalent of the sticky bit.

I see it somewhat differently; the purpose of "discard" is to prevent
any attempted change of the mode bits via chmod from affecting the ACL.
As you point out, there is no corresponding functionality in NFSv4 ACLs,
so by definition a change of the suid/sgid/sticky part of the mode bits
would not affect the ACL. And not allowing them to be changed would
result in lost functionality -- for example, setting the sgid bit on the
directory so the group owner is inherited on child directories, which is
actually quite valuable for the functionality of the group@ entry.

So I think the implementation of both a "discard" and "deny" aclmode
would need to incorporate the ability to modify the parts of the mode
bits that are not related to the ACL.

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  hen...@csupomona.edu