> > 1) is this a good idea?
> >
> > 2) any of you are running vserver guests on iSCSI targets? Happy
> > with it?
> >
> Yes, we have been using iSCSI to hold vserver guests for a couple of
> years now and are generally unhappy with it. Besides our general
> distress at Nexenta, there is the constraint of the Linux file system.
>
> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because this is a big problem
> for
> us. As far as I know, Linux file system block size cannot exceed the
> maximum memory page size and is limited to no more than 4KB. iSCSI
> appears to acknowledge every individual block that is sent. That means
> the most data one can stream without an ACK is 4KB. That means the
> throughput is limited by the latency of the network rather than the
> bandwidth.

Even if Linux filesystems generally stick to a block size of 4kB, that doesn't
mean all transfers are maximum 4kB. If that would have been the case, Linux
would be quite useless for a server. I/O operations are queued and if, for
instance, a read() call requests 8MB, that's done in a single operation.

> Nexenta is built on OpenSolaris and has a significantly higher
> internal
> network latency than Linux. It is not unusual for us to see round trip
> times from host to Nexenta well upwards of 100us (micro-seconds).
> Let's
> say it was even as good as 100us. One could send up to 10,000 packets
> per second * 4KB = 40MBps maximum throughput for any one iSCSI
> conversation. That's pretty lousy disk throughput.

That's why, back in 1992, the sliding window protocol was created
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1323), so that a peer won't wait for a TCP ACK
before resuming operation.

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy