On 09/26/11 20:03, Jesus Cea wrote:
# zpool upgrade -v
[...]
24  System attributes
[...]

This is really an on disk format issue rather than something that the end user or admin can use directly.

These are special on disk blocks for storing file system metadata attributes when there isn't enough space in the bonus buffer area of the on disk version of the dnode.

This can be necessary in some cases if a file has a very large and complex ACL and also has other attributes set such as the ones for CIFS compatibility.

They are also always used if the filesystem is encrypted, so that all metadata is in the system attribute (also know as spill) block rather than in the dnode - this is required because we need the dnone in the clear because it contains block pointers and other information needed to navigate the pool. However we never want file system metadata to be in the clear.

--
Darren J Moffat