Hi All,

No joy.. the system seized up again within a few hours of coming back up.
> Now trying another suggestion sent to me by a direct poster:
> *       Recommendation from Sun (Oracle) to work around a bug:
> *       6958068 - Nehalem deeper C-states cause erratic scheduling behavior
> set idle_cpu_prefer_mwait = 0
> set idle_cpu_no_deep_c = 1
> Was apparently the cause of a similar symptom for them and we are using
> Nehalem.
> At this point I'm running out of options, so it can't hurt to try it.

So far the system has been running without any lock ups since very late
Monday evening -- we're now almost 48 hours on.

So far so good, but it's hard to be certain this is the solution, since I
could never prove it was the root cause.

For now I'm just continuing to test and build confidence level. More time
will make me more confident. Maybe a week or so....

Lachlan Mulcahy
Senior DBA,
Marin Software Inc.
San Francisco, USA