Yes, it's moving a tree of files, and the shell ulimit is the default (which I
think is 256).

It happened twice recently in normal use but not when I tried to replicate it
(standard test response ;-))

Anyway it only happened moving between zfs filesystems in Solaris 11, I've
never seen it before, which is why I posted here first. But if it's a problem
elsewhere in Solaris I should move the discussion... although any ideas are