We're preparing to purchase an X4170M2 as an upgrade for our existing
X4100M2 server for ZFS, NFS, and iSCSI. We have a choice for CPU, some
more expensive than others. Our current system has a dual-core 1.8Ghz
Opteron 2210 CPU with 8GB. Seems like either a 6-core Intel E5649
2.53Ghz CPU or 4-core Intel E5620 2.4Ghz CPU would be more than
enough. Based on what we're using the system for, it should be more
I/O bound than CPU bound. We are doing compression in ZFS but that
shouldn't be too CPU intensive. Seems we should be caring more about
more cores than high Ghz.

albert chin (ch...@thewrittenword.com)