Ray,

If you are intending to go Nexenta then speak to your local Nexenta SE,
we've got HSL qualified solutions which cover our h/w support and we've
explicitly qualed some MD1200 configs with Dell for certain deployments
to guarantee support via both Dell h/w support and ourselves.

If you don't know who that would be drop me a line and I'll find someone
local to you …

We tend to go with the LSI cards, but even there there are some issues
with regard to Dell supply or over the counter.

HTH

Craig

On 6 Jan 2012, at 01:28, Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> We are looking at building a storage platform based on Dell HW + ZFS
> (likely Nexenta).
>
> Going Dell because they can provide solid HW support globally.
>
> Are any of you using the MD1200 JBOD with head units *without* an
> MD3200 in front?  We are being told that the MD1200's won't "daisy
> chain" unless the MD3200 is involved.
>
> We would be looking to use some sort of LSI-based SAS controller on the
> Dell front-end servers.
>
> Looking to confirm from folks who have this deployed in the wild.
> Perhaps you'd be willing to describe your setup as well and anything we
> might need to take into consideration (thinking best option for getting
> ZIL/L2ARC devices into Dell R510 head units for example in a supported
> manner).
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

—