Hi Andy

On Feb 14, 2012, at 10:37 AM, andy thomas wrote:

> On one of our servers, we have a RAIDz1 ZFS pool called 'maths2' consisting
> of 7 x 300 Gb disks which in turn contains a single ZFS filesystem called
> 'home'.
>
> Yesterday, using the 'ls' command to list the directories within this pool
> caused the command to hang for a long period period followed by an 'i/o
> error' message. 'zpool status -x maths2' reports the pool is healthy but
> 'iostat -en' shows a rather different story:
>
> root@e450:~# iostat -en
>  ---- errors ---
>  s/w h/w trn tot device
>    0   0   0   0 fd0
>    0   0   0   0 c2t3d0
>    0   0   0   0 c2t0d0
>    0   0   0   0 c2t1d0
>    0   0   0   0 c5t3d0
>    0   0   0   0 c4t0d0
>    0   0   0   0 c4t1d0
>    0   0   0   0 c2t2d0
>    0   0   0   0 c4t2d0
>    0   0   0   0 c4t3d0
>    0   0   0   0 c5t0d0
>    0   0   0   0 c5t1d0
>    0   0   0   0 c8t0d0
>    0   0   0   0 c8t1d0
>    0   0   0   0 c8t2d0
>    0 503 1658 2161 c9t0d0
>    0 2515 6260 8775 c9t1d0
>    0   0   0   0 c8t3d0
>    0 492 2024 2516 c9t2d0
>    0 444 1810 2254 c9t3d0
>    0   0   0   0 c5t2d0
>    0   1   0   1 rmt/2
>
> Obviously it looks like controller c9 or the cabling associated with it is in
> trouble (the server is an Enterprise 450 with multiple disk controllers). On
> taking the server down and running the 'probe-scsi-all' command from the OBP,
> one disk c9t1d0 was reported as being faulty (no media present) but the
> others seemed fine.

We see similar symptoms when a misbehaving disk (usually SATA) disrupts the
other disks in the same fault zone.

> After booting back up, I started scrubbing the maths2 pool and for a long
> time, only disk c9t1d0 reported it was being repaired. After a few hours,
> another disk on this controller reported being repaired:
>
>        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>        maths2      ONLINE       0     0     0
>          raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>            c5t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>            c5t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>            c8t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>            c9t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0  21K repaired
>            c9t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0  938K repaired
>            c9t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>            c9t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors
>
> Now, does this point to a controller/cabling/backplane problem or could all 4
> disks on this controller have been corrupted in some way? The O/S is Osol
> snv_134 for SPARC and the server has been up & running for nearly a year with
> no problems to date - there are two other RAIDz1 pools on this server but
> these are working fine.

Not likely. More likely the faulty disk causing issues elsewhere.

NB, for file and RAID systems that do not use checksums, such corruptions
can be catastrophic. Yea ZFS!
 -- richard

--
DTrace Conference, April 3, 2012,