From: Jim Klimov [mailto:jimkli...@cos.ru]
Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:44 PM
To: Mark Wolek
Cc: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] Problem with ESX NFS store on ZFS

2012-02-29 21:15, Mark Wolek wrote:
> Running Solaris 11 with ZFS and the VM's on this storage can only be
> opened and run on 1 ESX host, if I move the files to another host I
> get access denied, even though root has full permissions to the files.
>
> Any ideas or does it ring any bells for anyone before I contact VMware
> or something?

Probably, NFS UID mappng is faulty, or the NFS server ACL does not allow for
another server.

For UID mapping, in particular see the domain name settings:
/etc/defaultdomain
/etc/resolv.conf (search, domain lines)
/etc/default/nfs or appropriate SMF settings (NFSMAPID_DOMAIN)

For NFS ACL see the sharenfs property:

# zfs set
sharenfs='rw=esx:cvs:.domain.com:.jumbo.domain.com:@192.168.127.0/24,root=esx:cvs:192.168.127.99'

pool/esxfiles

Critical fields are 'rw', 'ro' and 'root' lists of hosts or subnets of clients
which have appropriate types of access.
For hosts not in 'root' list, their allowed 'ro' or 'rw'
access as "root" user will be remapped to "nobody".
You might also want 'anon=0,sec=sys' which seem to be appended by default on my
installations of Solaris, not sure if it is the default in Sol11.

Note that clients' hostnames can be resolved via /etc/hosts, DNS or LDAP, as
configured in your /etc/nsswitch.conf, and sometimes via /etc/inet/ipnodes as
well as a fallback mechanism.
Your server only gets one shot at resolving the client's name, and if it is not
literally the same as in NFS ACL, access is denied. You might want to fall back
to domain-based or subnet-based ACLs (may require the @ character).

For pointers to server-side ACL denials see the server's dmesg with entries
resembling this:

Feb 29 19:35:01 thumper mountd[10782]: [ID 770583 daemon.error]
esx.demo.domain.com denied access to /esxfiles/vm5

In particular, the entry produces the client's hostname as the server resolved
it, so you can see if your ACL (or naming service) was misconfigured.

HTH,
//Jim