Hi all,

I know the easiest answer to this question is "don't do it in the first
place, and if you do, you should have a backup", however I'll ask it
regardless.

Is there a way to backup the ZFS metadata on each member device of a pool
to another device (possibly non-ZFS)?

I have recently read a discusson on this list regarding storing the working
metadata on off-data devices (mirrored I assume).  Is there a way today to
walk, and save, the metadata of an entire pool and save it somewhere?

The main motivation for the question is that I recently ruined a large raidz
pool buy overwriting the start and end of two member disks (and possibly some
data).  I assume that if I could have restored the lost metadata I could
have recovered most of the real data.

Thanks
Scott