I'm currently thinking about rolling a variant of

with remote backup (via snapshot and send) to 2-3
other (HP N40L-based) zfs boxes for production in
our organisation. The systems themselves would
be either Dell or Supermicro (latter with ZIL/L2ARC
on SSD, plus SAS disks (pools as mirrors) all with
hardware pass-through).

The idea is to use zfs for data integrity and
backup via data snapshot (especially important
data will be also back-up'd via conventional DLT

Before I test thisi --

Is anyone using this is in production? Any caveats?

Can I actually have a year's worth of snapshots in
zfs without too much performance degradation?