On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 04:43:34PM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Edward Ned Harvey
> (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
> <opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensola...@nedharvey.com> wrote:
> >> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> >> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Fajar A. Nugraha
> >>
> >> So my
> >> suggestion is actually just present one huge 25TB LUN to zfs and let
> >> the SAN handle redundancy.
>
> > create a bunch of 1-disk volumes and let ZFS handle them as if they're JBOD.
>
> Last time I use IBM's enterprise storage (which was, admittedly, a
> long time ago) you can't even do that. And looking at Morris' mail
> address, it should be revelant :)
>
> ... or probably it's just me who haven't found how to do that. Which
> why I suggested just use whatever the SAN can present :)

You are entering the uncharted waters of ``multi-level disk
management'' here.  Both ZFS and the SAN use redundancy and error-
checking to ensure data integrity.  Both of them also do automatic
replacement of failing disks.  A good SAN will present LUNs that
behave as perfectly reliable virtual disks, guaranteed to be error
free.  Almost all of the time, ZFS will find no errors.  If ZFS does
find an error, there's no nice way to recover.  Most commonly, this
happens when the SAN is powered down or rebooted while the ZFS host
is still running.

--
-Gary Mills-            -refurb-                -Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada-