tron...@gmail.com said:
> That said, I've already migrated far too many times already. I really, really
> don't want to migrate the pool again, if it can be avoided. I've already
> migrated from raidz1 to raidz2 and then from raidz2 to mirror vdevs. Then,
> even though I already had a mix of 512b and 4k discs in the pool, when I
> bought new 3TBĀ discs, I couldn't add them to the pool, and I had to set up a
> new pool with ashift=12. In retrospect, I should have built the new pool
> without the 2TB drives, and had I known what I do now, I would definately
> have done that.

Are you sure you can't find 3TB/4TB drives with 512b sectors?  If you can
believe the "User Sectors Per Drive" specifications, these WD disks do:
        WD4000FYYZ, WD3000FYYZ
Those are the SATA part-numbers;  There are SAS equivalents.

I also found the Hitachi UltraStar 7K3000 and 7K4000 drives claim to
support 512-byte sector sizes.

Sure, they're expensive, but what enterprise-grade drives aren't?  And,
they might solve your problem.

Regards,

Marion