If you're dedicating the disk to a single task (data, SLOG, L2ARC) then
absolutely.  If you're splitting tasks and wanting to make a drive do two
things, like SLOG and L2ARC, then you have to do this.

        Some of the confusion here is between what is a traditional FDISK
partition (p1, p2, p3, p4, etc.) and what is a Solaris slice (s0 - s9), which
lives inside a FDISK partition on x86.

-Phil