On 1/5/13 11:42 AM, "Russ Poyner" <rpoy...@engr.wisc.edu> wrote:

>I'm configuring a box with 24x 3Tb consumer SATA drives

<snip>

>The box is a supermicro with 36 bays controlled through a single LSI
>9211-8i.

My recollection is that it's far from best practice to have SATA drives
connected to a SAS expander; better to either use SAS drives or use one of
the Supermicro chassis designs that doesn't use expanders in their
backplanes and control the drives with multiple LSI cards. If you've
already purchased the configuration as described, you may be a little
stuck with it, but my understanding is that the combination of SATA drives
and SAS expanders is a large economy-sized bucket of pain.
--
Dave Pooser
Manager of Information Services