On 02/12/13 15:07, Thomas Nau wrote:
Darren

On 02/12/2013 11:25 AM, Darren J Moffat wrote:

On 02/10/13 12:01, Koopmann, Jan-Peter wrote:
Why should it?

Unless you do a shrink on the vmdk and use a zfs variant with scsi
unmap support (I believe currently only Nexenta but correct me if I am
wrong) the blocks will not be freed, will they?

Solaris 11.1 has ZFS with SCSI UNMAP support.

Seem to have skipped that one... Are there any related tools e.g. to
release all "zero" blocks or the like? Of course it's up to the admin
then to know what all this is about or to wreck the data

No tools, ZFS does it automaticaly when freeing blocks when the underlying device advertises the functionality.

ZFS ZVOLs shared over COMSTAR advertise SCSI UNMAP as well.

--
Darren J Moffat