On 2013-03-20 17:15, Peter Wood wrote:
I'm going to need some help with the crash dumps. I'm not very familiar
with Solaris.

Do I have to enable something to get the crash dumps? Where should I
look for them?

Typically the kernel crash dumps are created as a result of kernel
panic; also they may be forced by administrative actions like NMI.
They require you to configure a dump volume of sufficient size (see
dumpadm) and a /var/crash which may be a dataset on a large enough
pool - after the reboot the dump data will be migrated there.

To "help" with the hangs you can try the BIOS watchdog (which would
require a bmc driver, one which is known from OpenSolaris is alas
not opensourced and not redistributable), or with a software deadman
timer:

http://www.cuddletech.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=1044

http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/System+Hangs

Also, if you configure "crash dump on NMI" and set up your IPMI card,
then you can likely gain remote access to both the server console
("physical" and/or serial) and may be able to trigger the NMI, too.

HTH,
//Jim

Thanks for the help.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Michael Schuster