For many years, I used PCI cards with a Silicon Image 3124 or 3132 SATA
controller in my Mac Pro.

They are essentially the same. The 3132 is PCIe, and the other one is PCI-X.

You can purchase them from Addonics, who will supply a Mac driver for you.
Newegg and Amazon work too.

These are simple controllers. I did run into a problem with them when I was
running a bigger zpool under Solaris 11, it would not keep up with the load. I
use an 8-port LSI controller for that now in a Linux server. I no longer have
the old Mac Pro so I don't know how it might work for Mac ZFS.

This intel-rebadged LSI card is ideal for personal use, small ZFS servers. In
addition to the controller, you will need two SFF-to-SATA cables, about $20

But you can start out small with a $20 Syba card.

Sent from my iPad