Hey, this is ilovezfs.

I think there may be some confusion here as to what each of these versions
are. For example, you referenced the command:

sudo zpool create -O casesensitivity=insensitive -O normalization=formD -O
ashift=12 POOLNAME mirror /dev/diskXsX /dev/diskXsX

which is not a command that would work on MacZFS 74.x.x.

MacZFS 74.3.x is the same as MacZFS 74.2.x, but simply upgraded to work
with Mavericks.
MacZFS 74.2.x/74.3.x is pool version 8, zfs file system version 2.

My "zfsadm" script is not related to MacZFS 74. It is for the newer,
OpenZFS based version of ZFS for OS X, which has been referred to variously
as "ZFS-OSX," and "OSX-ZFS," "MacZFS 99," "MacZFS prototype generation,"
and "MacZFS experimental generation."  The GitHub repository
https://github.com/zfs-osx has the code for this version.

https://github.com/zfs-osx (like every implementation of OpenZFS) is pool
version 5000, file system version 5. For reference, ZEVO is pool version
28, file system version 5. There is a comparison table here:

If you want to use MacZFS 74, I suggest that you run the command

sudo nvram boot-args="keepsyms=y"

and reboot. Then you should install MacZFS 74.3.2b and reboot. If you get a
kernel panic, post your panic report here. The panic reports are in

In my opinion, using MacZFS 74.3.1 is not a good answer, given that it has
been fully superseded by MacZFS 74.3.2b. If there is a kernel panic in
74.3.2b that you have discovered, that must be dealt with not avoided.
However, the kernel panic is likely attributable to a problem with your
setup given that others are using 74.3.2b without a panic, in which case
that problem in your setup needs to be resolved, not avoided.

If instead you want to use https://github.com/zfs-osx/zfs, then yes I'd
recommend using https://gist.github.com/ilovezfs/7713854. A tutorial
explaining one way it can be used is here:

If you have questions, the IRC channel is #mac-zfs on freenode. Colloquy
http://colloquy.info/ is a user-friendly client.