The best description of the current status of the Open ZFS port is here: State
of osx.zfs Dec
2013<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/maczfs-devel/h2qA0OpOTvY>

> Can I use your script to compile and install OpenZFS

Yes you can use the script to install it, as outlined here
http://zerobsd.tumblr.com/post/62586498252/os-x-with-zfs

maybe even mount the ZEVO pools…

Yes pool version 5000 is backwards compatible with pool version 28. It is
basically pool version 28 plus feature flags:
http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Features
It may be a better idea to start with a fresh pool so that you can take
advantage of lz4 compression.

zpool create -o ashift=13 -O casesensitivity=insensitive -O compression=lz4
-O atime=off -O normalization=formD -f tank …

If you intend never to replace any of the disks with SSD, ashift=12.

> and expect it to be stable?

Yes, it is pretty stable at this point. You might rarely hit a kernel panic
or not be able to export the pool with a forced shutdown, neither of which
should cause any actual harm to your data.

I would REALLY like to have features like case insensitivity and UTF8
> normalization.

Yes it has those features.

Also it would be nice if the mounted filesystems were actually visible in
> volumes.

The default is for the pool foo to mount at /foo, and a dataset foo/bar to
mount at /foo/bar. I explained the reason we do not use /Volumes (at least
not yet) here: https://github.com/zfs-osx/zfs/issues/64
Even though foo mounts at /foo not /Volumes/foo, it will still appear as a
volume with a disk icon in Finder. Ditto for foo/bar, etc.

Can I use it for my iPhoto, iTunes and general file storage?

Yes you can use it for iPhoto, iTunes and general file storage, but do not
use it for an entire home directory yet.

Can it be scanned by Spotlight?

No Spotlight does not work yet. However, if you want Spotlight, you can use
either a sparsebundle or zvol. zvols are not available on ZEVO, so ZEVO
users are often unfamiliar with them. Here's a description of their use on
Linux:
http://zfsonlinux.org/example-zvol.html

The only difference on OS X would be that you'd want to use only -b 512 or -b
4096 (our default is 4096), and an HFS+ file system.

Thank you, if OpenZFS is not an option for everyday use then I will go for
> this.

If you have independent backups, then this is primarily a question of
whether you value stability or new features more. If you do not have
independent backups, this conversation is moot because your one and only
concern should be creating an independent backup of all of your data. By
"independent backups," I mean that if every disk in your zpool is tossed in
the swimming pool, you still have your data because it is available
somewhere entirely separate from your zpool. Ideally, the backup is
offsite, or you have both an independent local back and an independent
offsite backup.

Thank you!

You're welcome.