*Summary:*

I'm trying to create a pool with my iStoragePro enclosure with 8x2TB
connected to an ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID card, but it always fails with an
I/O error:

sudo zpool create -o ashift=12 Data raidz2 disk4s2 disk5s2 disk6s2 disk7s2
disk8s2 disk9s2 disk10s2 spare disk11s2
"cannot create 'Data': I/O error"

Could be related to this old
topic<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/zfs-macos/kZQTiICDZR0> and
this closed (invalid) bug<https://code.google.com/p/maczfs/issues/detail?id=107>
.

*Details:*

I'm running MacZFS-74.3.3 on Mountain Lion 10.8.5.
I've created a few other pools on this system already using internal
drives, so I know my install is good.

The hardware is a MacPro 2,1 8-core, 32GB RAM with an iStoragePro enclosure
with 8x2TB connected to an ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID card.  I've been
running this setup as a RAID-6 for over a year without a problem.

I wanted to convert to a RAIDZ2, so I switched the enclosure to JBOD.  I
can see all 8 disk and format them individually with Disk Utility, so
everything is working there, but if I try to create a pool I get "cannot
create 'Data': I/O error"

sudo zpool create -o ashift=12 Data raidz2 disk4s2 disk5s2 disk6s2 disk7s2
disk8s2 disk9s2 disk10s2 spare disk11s2
"cannot create 'Data': I/O error"

I've tried the following, without success...

   - adding /dev/ before all the disk
   - creating a pool with just a single disk
   - creating a mirror with just two of the disks
   - not using the ashift parameter
   - picking a different pool name (tank, puddle, etc)

Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
Steve

MacPro:~ bump$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE
IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            119.2 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE
IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *3.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                        ZFS pool                    3.0 TB     disk1s2
/dev/disk2
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE
IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *3.0 TB     disk2
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                        ZFS pool                    3.0 TB     disk2s2
/dev/disk3
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE
IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *3.0 TB     disk3
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk3s1
   2:                        ZFS pool                    3.0 TB     disk3s2
/dev/disk4
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE
IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk4
   1:                        EFI                         314.6 MB   disk4s1
   2:                        ZFS                         2.0 TB     disk4s2
/dev/disk5
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE
IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk5
   1:                        EFI                         314.6 MB   disk5s1
   2:                        ZFS                         2.0 TB     disk5s2
/dev/disk6
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE
IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk6
   1:                        EFI                         314.6 MB   disk6s1
   2:                        ZFS                         2.0 TB     disk6s2
/dev/disk7
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE
IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk7
   1:                        EFI                         314.6 MB   disk7s1
   2:                        ZFS                         2.0 TB     disk7s2
/dev/disk8
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE
IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk8
   1:                        EFI                         314.6 MB   disk8s1
   2:                        ZFS                         2.0 TB     disk8s2
/dev/disk9
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE
IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk9
   1:                        EFI                         314.6 MB   disk9s1
   2:                        ZFS                         2.0 TB     disk9s2
/dev/disk10
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE
IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk10
   1:                        EFI                         314.6 MB   disk10s1
   2:                        ZFS                         2.0 TB     disk10s2
/dev/disk11
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE
IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk11
   1:                        EFI                         314.6 MB   disk11s1
   2:                        ZFS                         2.0 TB     disk11s2

MacPro:~ bump$ zpool status -v
  pool: pool
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested