Thanks, but I get the same error when trying to use the whole device.  The
Getting
Started <https://code.google.com/p/maczfs/wiki/GettingStarted> guide
suggests using the slice 2 approach.

I have made some progress though.  I found a setting in the ATTO ExpressSAS
R380 RAID card when running in JBOD mode to treat the drives as 512byte
block sizes instead of 4k.  The zpool command now works, but overall
performance is unacceptable.

I'm using the ATTO config utility to low-level format the drive to see if
that allows me to access the drive with 4k block sizes.  I'll update when I
know more.

Regards,
Steve