Please note, I'm not trolling with this message. I worked in Sun's OS/Net
group and am a huge fan of ZFS.

The leading members of the FreeNAS community make it
clear<http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/ecc-vs-non-ecc-ram-and-zfs.15449/>
[1] (with
a detailed explanation and links to reports of data loss) that if you use
ZFS without ECC RAM that there is a very good chance that you will
eventually experience a total loss of your data without any hope of
recovery. [2] (Unless you have literally thousands of dollars to spend on
that recovery. And even then there's no guarantee of said recovery.) The
features of ZFS, checksumming and scrubbing, work together to silently
spread the damage done by cosmic rays and/or bad memory throughout a file
system and this corruption then spreads to your backups.

Given this, aren't the various ZFS communities--particularly those that are
small machine oriented [3]--other than FreeNAS (and even they don't say it
as strongly enough in their docs), doing users a great disservice by
implicitly encouraging them to use ZFS w/o ECC RAM or on machines that
can't use ECC RAM?

As an indication of how persuaded I've been for the need of ECC RAM, I've
shut down my personal server and am not going to access that data until
I've built a new machine with ECC RAM.

Phil

[1] ECC vs non-ECC RAM and ZFS:
http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/ecc-vs-non-ecc-ram-and-zfs.15449/

[2] cyberjock: "So when you read about how using ZFS is an "all or none"
I'm not just making this up. I'm really serious as it really does work that
way. ZFS either works great or doesn't work at all. That really truthfully
[is] how it works."

[3] ZFS-macos, NAS4Free, PC-BSD, ZFS on Linux