On Feb 26, 2014, at 10:51 PM, Daniel Becker <razzf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Incidentally, that paper came up in a ZFS-related thread on Ars Technica just
> the other day (as did the link to the FreeNAS forum post). Let me just quote
> what I said there:
>
>> The conclusion of the paper is that ZFS does not protect against in-memory
>> corruption, and thus can't provide end-to-end integrity in the presence of
>> memory errors. I am not arguing against that at all; obviously you'll want
>> ECC on your ZFS-based server if you value data integrity -- just as you
>> would if you were using any other file system. That doesn't really have
>> anything to do with the claim that ZFS specifically makes lack of ECC more
>> likely to cause total data loss, though.
>
> The sections you quote below basically say that while ZFS offers good
> protection against on-disk corruption, it does *not* effectively protect you
> against memory errors. Or, put another way, the authors are basically finding
> that despite all the FS-level checksumming, ZFS does not render ECC memory
> unnecessary (as one might perhaps naively expect). No claim is being made
> that memory errors affect ZFS more than other filesystems.

Yes. Just like anything else, end-to-end data integrity is needed. So until
people write apps that self-check everything, there is a possibility that
something you trust [1] can fail. As it happens, only the PC market demands
no ECC. TANSTAAFL.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug
 -- richard

--