Yes its a given that we are slower that Zevo at this point.

I am disturbed to hear of your hangs. Perhaps you could be a bit more
specific and let us know what build of zfs-osx you are running, on what
hardware, and importantly whether the machine can be sshed into when it
enters this hang state. The behavior you are describing sounds a little
like a zfs deadlock. If this is the case the machine will degrade gradually
to the point of un-usability. Before it dies completely we ask users to run
"spindump" and report the results on the irc channel, or via github issue.
These deadlocks can be unraveled and corrected in the code. It has been at
least a couple of weeks since we saw such a deadlock. We take these issues
seriously of course.

There is one other user reporting hangs when executing certain stress
tests. However Lundman and I have not been able to reproduce to date. The
user reporting these hangs has not been able to reproduce using the latest
source code either.

Simple usage such as what you describe (rebuilding a large iphoto library,
not quite as large ~80 GB) is something I personally have done recently
with no particular issues noted.

Please ensure that you have disabled spotlight for zfs-osx as this can
cause problems (we don't support spotlight yet).