An advantage of snapshots is with active filesystems such as those used by
a database.  For a consist at database backup you of course need to stop
the program then backup then restart ( or use some database tool if
available) .  The time to create a snapshot is essentially zero so the
above start - stop is actually practical.  Then you use your backup
software of choice on the snapshot not the active file system.