Thanks for the detailed example!

On Monday, 17 March 2014 07:34:45 UTC+11, dch wrote:
> I've been a happy maczfs and also zfsosx user for several years now.
> [...]
> zfs send is a very easy way to do a very trustable
> backup, once you get past the first potentially large transfers.
> Can this happen bi-directiona? Or is it only applicable for creating
'read-only' replicas of a master filesystem onto some clients?
I mean, what happens once you cloned one file system, sent it to your
laptop, then edit on both the laptop and your ZFS server?

> All my source code & work lives in a zfs case sensitive noatime
> copies=2 filesystem, and I replicate that regularly to my other boxes
> as required.
> How does a 'copies=2' filesystem play together with a 'RAIDZ1' (or even
RAIDZ2) pool?
RAIDZ would have all data stored redundantly already, so would 'copies=2'
not end up in quadrupling the storage requirement if used on a raidz pool?

> For most customer projects I will have 3 or more VMs running different
> configs or operating systems under VMWare Fusion. These each live in
> their own zfs filesystem, compressed lz4 noatime case sensitive. I
> snapshot these after creation using vagrant install, again after
> config, and the changes are replicated using zfs snapshots again to
> the other OSX system, and also to the remote FreeBSD box.
> I can see that zfs is really good for handling multiple virtual machines.

> [...]

In summary, I'm more than happy with the performance once I used
> ashift=12 and moved past 8GB ram. Datasets once you get used to them
> are extraordinarily useful -- snapshot your config just before a
> critical upgrade.
> I start seeing the potential in snapshots. In fact, I just realised that I
do manual
'snapshots' on some of my repeating projects already for quite some time
with annual
clones of the previous directory structure. So ZFS snapshots would be a
natural fit here.

But regarding the memory consumption:
What makes ZFS so memory hungry in your case?
Do you use deduplication?

For more options, visit