On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 09:51:38PM -0400, Peter Lai wrote:

> why do I get the feeling apple made everything worse by not sticking
> with either UTF-16 or UTF-8 encodings and posix collation for Finder
> etc.?

If you're going to allow funny foreign characters in filenames then you
can't use POSIX collation. Why? Because POSIX collation sorts by
character code byte values. However, to pick a language at random - in
Icelandic, ¿ is sorted between D and E, despite the character codes
being, in order, 0x44, 0xD0 and 0x45, and their UTF-8 encodings being
0x44, 0xC3 0x90, 0x45.

No doubt my editor/MUA combination will have bollocksed up the funny
foreign character in this email.

David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

People from my sort of background needed grammar schools to
compete with children from privileged homes like ... Tony Benn
     -- Margaret Thatcher