Going through this bit by bit, but some things that I take issue with but may
be interpreting incorrectly.

You created several vmdk's on C: drive (9), your running Windows on this drive,
as well as Virtualbox which has an OS making use of the vmdk's, this correct?
If yes, we may have stumbled across your issue, thats a lot of i/o for the
underlying drive, some of it fighting with the other contenders. You list 6
physical drives, reason they are not utilized? Perhaps just moving the vmdk's
to another drive might at least help with the stress.

As an example, I never host the VM on the OS drive, just like I never host ZFS
on the OS drive FreeBSD can of course, but I believe attention must be paid to
setup) even if I have room for a partition (tried that in the past).

--
Jason Belec
Sent from my iPad

--