OK, doesn't look like RAM, processor etc., are the issue.... Let's work with
that in mind for now.

When the pool and the associated drives are not connected, is the computer back
to your expectation of normal? If so, you have one or more bad cables, one or
more bad drives, or a bit of both, perhaps a bad or not quite capable power
supply (solves 90% of all issues I come across). Maybe even an issue with the
motherboard. Simplest thing, have you run a scrub on this pool? Clean?

The type of drives you have is not an issue, the make and known issues with
said drives might be, but you didn't provide that info.

Using a raidcard and macJournaled terms, thrown out will not help you, your
either ZFS or not. That said, you will not get the same speed from ZFS as from
other raid setups, but you will get peace of mind on data integrity. I do hope
you are also backing up data from the pool as well or eventually you will be in
tears like so many others. A little forum searching under old and new versions
of mac zfs will be helpful.

Since your getting started, once this is resolved it might be better to
build/run this under the latest (yes its in development) Mac ZFS rather than
the old tired version. It is quite a bit different, modern and makes many
things a lot easier. (Insert legal disclaimer here) ;)

Interesting aside:
Dave mentioned an interesting point about wearing out SSDs, and I must admit
I've had two such occurrences but only with a hackintosh and only with less
than stellar drives. Seems that here around the mad science lab Intel SSDs are
the most reliable long term. I have two of their originals still outlasting
several other brands.

Sent from my iPad