James,

Perhaps the takeaway here is that MacZFS (and arguably ZFS in general) is
really not a great fit for the casual user. ZFS is very powerful once you
take the time to really get familiar with it, but it does require a fair
amount of research to get started, and it gives you lots of ways to shoot
yourself in the foot. And as you found out yourself, there are a fair
number of caveats and behavioral oddities when running ZFS on a Mac. If you
want something that "just works" without digging into the details and that
gives you behavior just as you would expect it from other file systems,
it's probably not for you (at least not for anything other than
experimentation).

I know that the MacZFS page likes to give a somewhat different impression,
but in my opinion encouraging non-technical users to install it is really
doing a disservice both to said users and to the community as a whole.

Daniel

---