 Hi James,

Am 20.05.14 21:32, schrieb James Hoyt:
> So it sounds like I need to recreate my zpool ...
> "Logical Block Size" = 512 "Physical Block Size" = 4096
> So I should use the following command on my next zpool to help
> finder performance and make it compatible for 4k drives?
> zfs create -o normalization=formD atime=off murr ashift=12 (let me
> know if I have any errors in this)

 As said in my other mail an hour ago, "normalization" doesn't exist in
 the stable MacZFS version.  Also each option needs its own "-o" and
 ashift is a pool option, not a file system option.

 You do "zpool create -o ashift=12 -O atime=off murr _devices_ ..."

 Note the capital "-O" and the small letter "-o".

 And for subsequent file systems (datasets in ZFS language) you use

  "zfs create -o atime=off _pool_name/fs_name_"

 If you used the development version, then you would add a
 "-O normalization=formD" in the zpool command and a
 "-o normalization=formD" in the zfs command.

 Best regards

> [...]
>> scrubs, you name it) which had to be solved, so I had a lot of
>> reading and googling to do. I kinda was fooled by the MacZFS
>> tutorial into thinking that this will be completely easy like
>> you describe.
>> These guys, in the front row Jason and Alex Blewitt and Bjoern
>> helped me a lot to get on the way (so thanks again guys)
>> Sebastian
>> On 20.05.14 20:28, James Hoyt wrote:
>>> Hi Bjorn thanks for your reply and thanks for your help Jason
>>> in all this. I've actually been in the IT industry for 12
>>> years, A+ certified, and currently pursuing my CCNA and MCSA so
>>> a technical setup didn't intimidate me. (granted servers are a
>>> new beast to me) I came across Mac ZFS while researching RAID
>>> options. As I'm getting new music in wav/flac daily from a
>>> number of sources, a manual backup system really wouldn't work
>>> for me as it's too hard to keep up. I tried once with a blu-ray
>>> writer and it was a nightmare.. plus I'm regularly categorizing
>>> music with MediaMonkey (why I have a virtual machine because
>>> it's Windows only... oh why won't iTunes support FLAC
>>> natively!) so all the tracks are updated now and then. So I
>>> thought an offsite backup that's updated every few months along
>>> with a four-drive RAID setup with one drive for redundancy
>>> would be all that I would need.
>>> MacZFS.org is well put together and the tutorials isn't
>>> intimidating at all. Run a few terminal commands? I can do
>>> that. The depth of ZFS wasn't really covered nor did it really
>>> state that more research is needed (like if I need 4k setup..
>>> or whatever that is D:  ) So it's rather frustrating to just
>>> find out I moved all my data off my individual 2/1.5 TB drives
>>> to find out I did it wrong when I was careful, very careful, to
>>> follow the Getting Started guide and FAQ precisely.
>>> Bleh D:
>>> Jason, I apologize for coming out rough. I felt like I was
>>> being treated like a lazy moron, which I'm not. I've researched
>>> a variety of RAID solutions quite a bit and thought I was all
>>> setup for ZFS and just had to change some configurations to
>>> speed it up. I'm sure you weren't born with this knowledge and
>>> needed the help of others to guide you in the right direction.
>>> I was googling things like "slow zpool ZFS" and other similar
>>> terms but just couldn't find anything concrete (because my
>>> problem isn't concrete).
>>> I tried searching if my drives are 4k with no luck. I saw an
>>> article back from 2010 stating hard drives were planning to all
>>> be 4k in 2011... this leads me to believe that they are 4k
>>> since I purchased them new last year. Crap D: Is there a for
>>> sure way I can see if they are 4k? Could this be my performance
>>> issue or is it just because my directories have large amounts
>>> of folders/files in them?
>>> Again, sorry if I came out rude. This is all new technology to
>>> me and I'm doing my best to become familiar with it.

- --
|     Bjoern Kahl   +++   Siegburg   +++    Germany     |
| "googlelogin@-my-domain-"   +++   www.bjoern-kahl.de  |
| Languages: German, English, Ancient Latin (a bit :-)) |
Version: GnuPG v1