Hi guys! What a journey. So with school and work I finally was able to get
everything pulled off my ZFS pool and ready to rebuild it.

Except I can't find the developer version...

I'm at downloads.maczfs.org and checked current and all downloads and the last
release seems to be MacZFS-74.3.3.pkg, which I have installed:
collect-maczfs-state.sh v maczfs_74-3-3-68-ga26cd63

Determining system version
# uname -a
Darwin Jamess-iMac.local 13.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.2.0: Thu Apr 17
23:03:13 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.100.13~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Looking for ZFS packages
# -v pkgs -sl Found %d packages pkgutil --pkgs | grep -e zfs -e ZFS -e ZEVO -e
zevo
com.getgreenbytes.community.zfs.pkg
com.getgreenbytes.community.ZFSDriver.pkg
com.getgreenbytes.community.ZFSFilesystem.pkg
org.maczfs.zfs.106.pkg
Found 4 packages

So where is the developer version? Everything else is marked as depreciated.
Please help D: I want to use the latest build experimental or not.

I'm going to use this line once I get the new version installed:
zpool create -f -O compression=lz4 -O casesensitivity=insensitive -O
normalization=formD -O atime=off -o ashift=12 deathstar raidz disk1 disk2 disk3
disk5

Do I need to delete the pool first or format the drives in any way special
before doing this?

Thanks,

James

On May 20, 2014, at 4:21 PM, Bjoern Kahl <googlelo...@bjoern-kahl.de> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Am 20.05.14 21:32, schrieb James Hoyt:
>> So it sounds like I need to recreate my zpool ...
>>
>> "Logical Block Size" = 512 "Physical Block Size" = 4096
>>
>> So I should use the following command on my next zpool to help
>> finder performance and make it compatible for 4k drives?
>>
>> zfs create -o normalization=formD atime=off murr ashift=12 (let me
>> know if I have any errors in this)
>
> Almost.
>
> As said in my other mail an hour ago, "normalization" doesn't exist in
> the stable MacZFS version.  Also each option needs its own "-o" and
> ashift is a pool option, not a file system option.
>
> You do "zpool create -o ashift=12 -O atime=off murr _devices_ ..."
>
> Note the capital "-O" and the small letter "-o".
>
> And for subsequent file systems (datasets in ZFS language) you use
>
>  "zfs create -o atime=off _pool_name/fs_name_"
>
> If you used the development version, then you would add a
> "-O normalization=formD" in the zpool command and a
> "-o normalization=formD" in the zfs command.
>

> Best regards
>
>    Björn
>

>> As for the slowness in a VM, Mac file sharing would affect it
>> because Windows 8 accesses the drives with Fusion by mounting
>> \\jamess-imac\Volumes\murr as the Z drive so it technically is a
>> file share if that's what you mean. But it could also be because
>> the slowness of not using a 4k compatible zpool is compounded with
>> a virtual machine. (Could someone updated the getting started guide
>> to have you create a 4k zpool by default?)
>>
>> Thanks for the advice on Songbird! I may try it if it can organize
>> via masks and support custom ID3 fields. I saw it's discontinued
>> though but it's still on SourceForge.
>>
>> I'm at work so can't give a better reply but I have a lot more to
>> look into and read now =)
>>
>> - James
>>

>> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM, 'Busty' via zfs-macos
>> <zfs-macos@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>> James,
>>>
>>> I use my 15TB pool mainly for flac files too, so I thought I'd
>>> throw in my two cents (even if some is not zfs related):
>>>
>>> regarding iTunes recognizing flac: There is a quicktime component
>>> that will enable flac in quicktime, iirc it also works in itunes,
>>> at least you can get it too. But it will not play gapless, there
>>> is an amount of silence between songs.
>>>
>>> Another thing is called "TwistedFlac", which in a folder you can
>>> specify shows all flac files as wave files. These can be imported
>>> into iTunes, the downside is that the tags are not recognized.
>>>
>>> Just in case that helps with your library. I use songbird, which
>>> can about anything you want, but is not as stable as iTunes.
>>>
>>> Regarding your files showing up very slow, I experience that when
>>> I access my files on the pool from a remote machine which has to
>>> do with AFP (Apple filesharing protocol), so I have set up a NFS
>>> share. But you don'T writ eabout accessing the files from a a
> [...]

---