As far as I know, a choice of file system (or storage system) should not
affect whether the operating system can work with S.M.A.R.T.-capable
hardware.

Whilst I'm not very familiar with SMARTReporter, I'm surprised that it
appears to not find S.M.A.R.T. capability for any of the three internal
drives.

That said, you might find the following of interest:

kasbert <https://github.com/kasbert>/*OS-X-SAT-SMART-Driver
<https://github.com/kasbert/OS-X-SAT-SMART-Driver>*

– try the 0.9 release, restart the Mac then see whether Disk Utility and/or
SMARTReporter treat the three drives as supporting S.M.A.R.T..