Ok, thank you.  I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something known about
zfs.  Digging deeper, I see the SMARTReporter log says:

Jul 20 14:31:53 big.parc.xerox.com SMARTReporter[552] <Error>: Error:
mountedHarddisks volumeParms.vMDeviceID == NULL
Jul 20 14:31:53 big.parc.xerox.com SMARTReporter[552] <Error>: Error:
mountedHarddisks volumeParms.vMDeviceID == NULL
Jul 20 14:31:53 big.parc.xerox.com SMARTReporter[552] <Error>: Error:
mountedHarddisks volumeParms.vMDeviceID == NULL
Jul 20 14:31:53 big.parc.xerox.com SMARTReporter[552] <Info>: I/O-Error
check: O.K. - No problems found on all 2 checked disk(s).

So I suspect there's something going on with it.  Disk Utility shows "SMART
Code about it and will update this post once I find out.