 Hi 'Busty',

Am 15.10.14 um 20:32 schrieb 'Busty' via zfs-macos:
> In my pool, I had a disk that got a smart error (bad block), so I
> pulled it out, installed a new one and made a "zpool replace
> disk5s2 806745480046791602". (That number was shown when typing
> "zpool status" as the missing device.)
> The resilver process started, but it seems that the new disk is
> faulty, because it disappears from the device list infrequently,
> but still at least every 6 hours (I have Temperature Monitor
> running which shows me all disks by serial number).
> So I want to change it. But zpool detach <poolname> dev/disk5s2
> gives the error "no such device in pool".
> How can I abort the resilvering process? Or is there another way to
> restart the resilvering with a new disk?

 Usually I would do in this situation exactly what you described:
 Detach the disk and attach a new one.

 "zpool detach" is supposed to detach any disk that can logically be
 detached (i.e. does not remove data that is stored only on that disk).

 To diagnose further, you would need to show us "zpool status -v".

> The original disk with the bad block is already on its way to
> Western Digital (it was still in warranty).

 Generally, it is more wise to do the replace with the faulty disk
 still present.  In case of trouble with another disk, it still holds
 most of the data and can provide good block if needed by the resilver

 Best regards

- --
|     Bjoern Kahl   +++   Siegburg   +++    Germany     |
| "googlelogin@-my-domain-"   +++   www.bjoern-kahl.de  |
| Languages: German, English, Ancient Latin (a bit :-)) |
Version: GnuPG v1