This generated a follow up question:

I did the zpool replace with an unformatted disk as described in the
oracle documentation. After that, zpool status showed the disk as part
of the pool, but as "disk2", not as "disk2s2". Accordingly, OSX wanted
to initialize the disk every time upon booting.

So I formatted the disk as described in the getting started guide on
MacZFS, which resolves the problem of OSX wanting to initialize the
disk, but still it shows as "disk2" (without the s2) with zpool status.
I was prepared to resilver the disk again after that, but it was still
part of the pool.

I started a scrub, had 6 checksum errors on that disk right at the
beginning, but otherwise the scrub seems to consider the data as good.
It is at 7 percent right now.

Should I be worried that the data is not integer?

On 23.10.14 14:01, 'Busty' via zfs-macos wrote:

> This was in fact easier than I thought. What did the trick was to
> physically swap the faulty disk with a new one and then "zpool detach
> (faulty disk)"
> After that a "zpool replace" went like a charm.
> Problem solved.
> On 15.10.14 20:32, 'Busty' via zfs-macos wrote:
>> In my pool, I had a disk that got a smart error (bad block), so I pulled it
>> out, installed a new one and made a
>> "zpool replace disk5s2 806745480046791602". (That number was shown when
>> typing "zpool status" as the missing device.)
>> The resilver process started, but it seems that the new disk is faulty,
>> because it disappears from the device list infrequently, but still at least
>> every 6 hours (I have Temperature Monitor running which shows me all disks
>> by serial number).
>> So I want to change it. But zpool detach <poolname> dev/disk5s2 gives the
>> error "no such device in pool".
>> How can I abort the resilvering process? Or is there another way to restart
>> the resilvering with a new disk?
>> The original disk with the bad block is already on its way to Western
>> Digital (it was still in warranty).

For more options, visit