The tears are something I really want to avoid.
Therefore I have already taken the financial hit and ordered drives and an
external enclosure for backup purposes.
I will not do anything, not even resilvering, until tomorrow when I have been
able to make a full backup.
(As of now, only the most critical data is backed up.)
I would like to avoid two-way mirrors in the future since I read that
resilvering often triggers failure of the remaining drive if it’s in bad shape.

Yes, the pool is now two mirrors that are striped.
As you say, it’s easy to grow and it’s fast but I’d like the extra redundancy
that a raidz2 gives.
I will see how it works out in terms of performance but the CPU and Memory
should not be the problem.
I’ve got a hexa core xeon @ 4,1 GHz and 24 GB RAM.

> This procedure to do what your asking has been around almost since the
> beginning of ZFS, a little Googling can find the steps. I suggest anything
> with the name Oracle at the top of the page.
What procedure exactly are you referring to here?

Thank you for offering your tips and help.
I’ll let you know how it goes. :)

/Robert