The problem would not be the mirror..
I use consumer standard drives and they fail quite often.
With two-way mirrors I would risk a lot more trouble if the other drive dies 
too while resilvering.
(Transferring as fast as possible from one disk to another with no other 
bottlenecks or ”breaks” and therefore stressing the disk to a maximum.)
Of course this might not be a great risk in real life but I read that of all 
the disks that fail, a quite big part do so while stressing them like this.

Anyways, if the speed of one raidz2 is enough for me I will probably stick with 
it since it feels a little more safe than two-way mirrors.
It’s mounted in the computer cabinet so there isn’t all that much room for 
growing it except by migrating to larger drives.
In any case, I’m investing in more and better hardware and if the speeds are to 
slow with the raidz2 I can go for 3 two-way mirrors in the pool.
Of course the full backup will save me quite a bit of worry and that’s why I 
have now spent cash on something that will hopefully work out well for me in 
that department.

Another thing.
I’m feeling good about moving away from the built-in sata controllers, and 
getting a controller card that I hope will be a bit more dependable.
Is it advisable to distribute the disks for a certain vdev across more than one 
controller?
..in case the controller introduces errors?
Or is that not recommended for some reason?

Thank you very much for taking the time.

/Robert


3 nov 2014 kl. 18:00 skrev BelecMartin <jasonbe...@belecmartin.com>:

> Not sure what you have read about mirrors, I have yet to see any such issue 
> across 15 such setups. 
> 
> Now Raidz2 also has its caveats, and for the average individual I really do 
> recommend mirrors for actual redundancy. If you build Raidz2 then you need to 
> do that as a mirror of another raidz2 or have a very good backup strategy and 
> that almost always goes to mirrors. ;)
> 
> I really don't see many people running into the memory issues unless you turn 
> dedup on, ouch! I can only speak from experience but I have a good size 
> client base all on ZFS running daily for years. All issues can be tracked 
> back to hardware failure and that is to be expected. Also almost always easy 
> to recover from with ZFS. 
> 
> However everyone makes their own decisions on data at hand and you may be 
> ahead of the curve. 
> 
> Jason Belec
> Sent from my "It's an iPod, a Phone, and an Internet Device..."
> 
>> On Nov 3, 2014, at 11:39 AM, Robert Rehnmark <xcar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 
>> The tears are something I really want to avoid.
>> Therefore I have already taken the financial hit and ordered drives and an 
>> external enclosure for backup purposes.
>> I will not do anything, not even resilvering, until tomorrow when I have 
>> been able to make a full backup.
>> (As of now, only the most critical data is backed up.)
>> I would like to avoid two-way mirrors in the future since I read that 
>> resilvering often triggers failure of the remaining drive if it’s in bad 
>> shape.
>> 
>> Yes, the pool is now two mirrors that are striped.
>> As you say, it’s easy to grow and it’s fast but I’d like the extra 
>> redundancy that a raidz2 gives.
>> I will see how it works out in terms of performance but the CPU and Memory 
>> should not be the problem.
>> I’ve got a hexa core xeon @ 4,1 GHz and 24 GB RAM.
>> 
>>> This procedure to do what your asking has been around almost since the 
>>> beginning of ZFS, a little Googling can find the steps. I suggest anything 
>>> with the name Oracle at the top of the page.
>> What procedure exactly are you referring to here?
>> 
>> Thank you for offering your tips and help.
>> I’ll let you know how it goes. :)
>> 
>> /Robert
>> 
>> 
>>> 3 nov 2014 kl. 17:21 skrev Jason Belec <jasonbe...@belecmartin.com>:
>>> 
>>> Well a few things, if you don't have a backup already don't go any further. 
>>> Your just asking for tears  of anguish.
>>> 
>>> This procedure to do what your asking has been around almost since the 
>>> beginning of ZFS, a little Googling can find the steps. I suggest anything 
>>> with the name Oracle at the top of the page.
>>> 
>>> You say 2 mirrors, do you mean they are stripped together? How did your 
>>> original creation command look? To receive aid, you need to be detailed in 
>>> asking as you could get advice based on assumption that will have you back 
>>> to the tears thing....
>>> 
>>> Are you looking for speed, security, redundancy? Because 2 drives mirrored 
>>> and striped across 2 more drives mirrored is pretty safe and can be grown 
>>> by another 2 drives and repeated. In fact I usually encourage this for most 
>>> people rather than RaidZ2 (something you cannot alter after creation).
>>> 
>>> --
>>> Jason Belec
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>> 
>>>> On Nov 3, 2014, at 7:25 AM, Robert Rehnmark <xcar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> So I have decided to get an LSI SAS/SATA 8 port raid card for my 
>>>> hackintosh and change my pool from… 
>>>> 2 mirrors of 2x3TB Seagate Barracuda (4 drives)  —TO—> 1 RaidZ2 of 6x3TB 
>>>> Seagate Barracuda
>>>> My intention is to set up a complete backup of the whole pool also but 
>>>> since that is not done yet I can’t juggle the data that way.
>>>> 
>>>> Are there ANY options other than creating the raidz2 in a new pool, 
>>>> transferring all the data and then scrapping the old pool?
>>>> Can I clone the pool with settings, filesystems, mountpoints and all onto 
>>>> a new pool?
>>>> Can I mirror the old pool with the raidz and then scrap the old part of 
>>>> the mirror? This sounds dangerous though, making a vdev containing other 
>>>> vdevs.. (if even possible)
>>>> 
>>>> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>>>> Robert
>>>> 
>>>> -- 
>>>> 
>>>> --- 
>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>>>> "zfs-macos" group.
>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>>>> email to zfs-macos+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>> 
>>> -- 
>>> 
>>> --- 
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>>> "zfs-macos" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>>> email to zfs-macos+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>> 
>> -- 
>> 
>> --- 
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>> "zfs-macos" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>> email to zfs-macos+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> 
> -- 
> 
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "zfs-macos" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to zfs-macos+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

-- 

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"zfs-macos" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to zfs-macos+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to