Hey folks,

It’s always useful to be able to point new users to how zfs benefits them, so
here’s another one, both the flexibility of datasets, as well as relying on
zpool scrub to ensure data integrity.

About 2 weeks ago, my laptop blew up its GPU (6th time this year) so it was in
for repair. This happens so often, I just switch to the nearest other machine
and grab my latest replicated datasets for whatever project I’m working on
while they repair it.

However after a few strange clicks starting on Sunday, that 2nd machine started
to have problems too. It failed to boot from OSX sometimes, and eventually I
could only get it to work from internet recovery boot. Such fun. I was able to
confirm my data was OK, by running zpool scrub again after booting via FreeBSD
— mfsBSD[1] is excellent for this. Of course, I had no way of knowing if the
HFS+ partition used for OSX itself, was corrupt or not, nor knowing if the time
machine backups also had silent corruption. Apple’s disk repair didn’t report
any issues, but a 3rd party smart utility showed a high, and increasing, rate
of failed sectors and unrecoverable reads. OSX still wouldn’t boot, so I booted
up FreeBSD and did a final ‘zfs send’ to my remote server.

I co-opted a netbook from a friend, and continued working over ssh for the rest
of the day, while my main hardware was in for repair. replicated zfs datasets
FTW again.

Once the laptop hardware was repaired, recovery was as simple as pulling back
the newer snapshots from the FreeBSD server, and I was back up and running in
minutes. I spent more time organising the repairs than managing data recovery.

So many many thanks to lundman, brendon, ilovezfs, Björn and others for keeping
this ship up and running over the years.

A+, Dave
— sent from my Couch

[1]: http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/
[2]: my setup
— running very recent zfsonosx builds from source
    Feb 2011 MacBook Pro 15”, dual SSD, 16GB RAM
    Jan 2013 iMac 27”, 3TB disk, 32GB RAM
— FreeBSD 10.1-BETA3-p1 (living on the edge)
    FreeBSD 8 core server, 3TB disks, mirrored zpool, 32GB ECC RAM