Yeah, expected this sooner, bad cable. Just went through almost exactly the
same sequence for a client. It was a SATA cable, but still getting issues after
replacing it and one drive that was seemingly bad. And then all drives
disappeared. Replaced the ESATA cable but is was also crap. Replaced again with
a quality known working cable from another system an voila! Everything perfect.
Began scrub, all came out great.

Jason Belec
Sent from my "It's an iPod, a Phone, and an Internet Device..."