Really, though, it looks like there’s a bunch of reviews online (Amazon,
Newegg, …) that mention stability issues with these boxes, drives dropping out
under load and USB 3 flakiness. If these are indeed accurate (I don’t have any
personal experience with them), I’m not surprised you’d run into issues with
ZFS.