On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Dotan Cohen<dotanco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We've been through that one and although I think that a hidden
> directory would be best (Because Zim is used to manipulate the data,
> not a file manager. Do you want your Firefox profile in a non-hidden
> directory? Your Gnome settings?) I accept your decision as the project
> developer. How about checking if a ~/Notes directory exists, if yes
> checking if it is or Zim origin, and if yes using it. If not, then
> either trying another sensible name (ZimNotes, maybe) or asking the
> user to select a name.

But there is exactly my point, settings, profiles and caches go in
hidden directories, data does not. In my view settings are more or
less expandable - sure you do not want to loose them easily, but if
you do you can re-create them fairly easily. Data on the other hand is
much more valuable.

I think the precedent for putting data in hidden folders was created
by email clients. Probably this happened because the email was not
considered stored data, but more like a cache of the data that lives
on the server. I for one still like my email client to store emails
under "~/Mail".

Yes I agree that good defaults make a program more user friendly. But
hiding data from the user in my opinion does not.