I've confirmed this isn't a problem with the installer. If you run Zim
with all of GTK's global installation in your $PATH, this problem still
occurs. :^(

I might take a look at this later, but Jaap I'm assigning it back to
you.

** Changed in: zim
     Assignee: Brendan Kidwell (bkidwell) => Zim (zim-wiki)

--
[win] cannot open another notebook
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/569091

Status in Zim desktop wiki: Confirmed

Bug description:
When trying to open another Notebook and selecting one from the list or
creating a new one, pressing OK only closes the selection dialog, but Zim does
not open the notebook; it stays on the old notebook.

In the log, an error shows up:

ERROR: Failed running: ['C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Zim Desktop Wiki\\zim.exe',
'file:///D:/Dokumente/wiki/ToolEvaluierung', '--no-daemon']
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "zim\applications.pyo", line 122, in spawn
GError: Hilfsprogramm (Invalid argument) konnte nicht ausgeführt werden

(last message should translate to "helper program (...) cannot be executed")

Using Windows-installer Zim-setup-0.46_2010-04-13.exe on Windows 7 64 bit.