All,

So far my conclusion is that embedding a treeview (option 2 in my
previous mail) is the only practical solution at this moment. I'm
afraid implementing a more flexible custom widget is an enormous
amount of work.

See the cherrytree screenshots for an idea how the embedded treeview
might look: http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

Having a full fledged table layout becomes much more realistic if/when
the editor is ported to use the gtk-webkit widget with HTML5. I would
love to go that way, but with the current state of that library I find
it still too immature to make the move (e.g. total lack of API
documentation for the webkit bindings). Check gwrite for a nice proof
of concept: http://code.google.com/p/gwrite/ (package available in
Ubuntu 10.10).