I tried this earlier this week and posted the results without having tested
my build on a clean machine. Thanks Marco for the early failure report.
I'm not sure why it failed, but I started again tonight with two CLEAN
Windows XP virtual machines tonight (instead of Windows 2008). I followed my
build instructions on one, and installed the result on the other. And it
really seems to be working okay for me now! I tested on clean Windows XP and
also a Windows 2008 ASP.NET development box.
*** Now that the package actually works at least for me, I still need a
non-English user to confirm that the portable and desktop versions both
display the correct languages for Zim menus and dialog boxes, please. The
desktop installer's text is English-only, but the application should show
Once I get a confirmation or two, I'll send Jaap a merge request.
Windows-specific changes since 0.50 (last stable Windows release):
* Desktop installer clears "$PROGRAMFILES/Zim Desktop Wiki" before writing
* Desktop UNINSTALLER correctly removes user-level and "all users"-level
Desktop icon and Start Menu shortcuts (2008, 7, Vista).
* Added 256x256 resolution image to zim.ico file for better appearance in
Desktop folder (2008, 7, Vista).
* Created portable installer package using PortableApps.com tools -- good
for running Zim from a thumbdrive. Ready to final submit to PortableApps.com
after we "go live" with 0.53.
* Fixed "look and feel on windows: default gtk laf is used"
* notebooks.list and other config files are written with paths relative to
$HOME now instead of absolute paths; this enables a Portable launcher
without having to rewrite notebooks.list during every launch. The launcher
script just has to set $HOME to the app's folder instead of the user's local
profile. (I've got this covered.)
* Added EULA.rtf (converted from ./LICENSE.txt) to desktop and portable
installers. Yes it's one more thing to click on, but it may come in handy if
someone finds the installer in a dusty archive years from now.
* Fixed various bugs that caused Zim to fail to start entirely for Windows
in 0.51 through 0.52 releases.
Not-yet-merged Windows-related code changes to produce the above packages
Always backup your data!
If you try out this build, please follow the mailing list and upgrade when
the FINAL 0.53 build for Windows is available.
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~zim-wiki
Post to : email@example.com
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~zim-wiki
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp