On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Robert Corty <rco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is my first post on this mailing list.  If this is not the right
> place to ask technical questions, I apologize.  Please just tell me
> the right place to ask them and don't unleash a huge ragefest on me.

Yes this is the right place to ask.

> I read through the information about zim and it looks like it would be
> really useful to help me organize my note-taking (I'm in medical
> school).  I have a mac running OS 10.7.3.
>
> I installed MacPorts and typed "sudo port install [port-name]" at the
> terminal for the following port-names, as it said to do on the install
> page:
>    python26
>    py26-gtk
>    py26-simplejson
>    py26-xdg
>
> Then I downloaded and unarchived the source for zim0.55, navigated to
> the folder, and typed "./test.py".  Unfortunately, I got the following
> error:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "./test.py", line 239, in <module>
>    main()
>  File "./test.py", line 88, in main
>    suite = tests.load_tests(loader, None, None)
>  File "/Users/rcorty/Desktop/zim-0.55/tests/__init__.py", line 80, in
> load_tests
>    test = loader.loadTestsFromName(name)
>  File
> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/unittest/loader.py",
> line 100, in loadTestsFromName
>    parent, obj = obj, getattr(obj, part)
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'utils'

For some reason zim can not find the modules in the local folder. Does
"tests/utils.py" exist in your folder ?

If so, you might want to set "export PYTHONPATH=." to force looking in the
local folder.

> I figured I'd just give the install a try so I typed "./setup.py
> install", and got the following error:

Try instead to type "python ./zim.py", this should run zim directly from
source instead of installing first.

(Make sure to run in an X context, e.g. xterm)

Hope this helps, otherwise I hope some other Mac users here have a better
suggestion.

Regards,

Jaap